“Sustainability” is today’s hot topic for journalists. Other than helping to save our planet, promoting your sustainability helps to build your brand and can become a defining factor in your company’s commercial viability.
With research showing 2/3 of us are willing to pay more for sustainable brands (and that number is rising year and year) and that we are willing to spend up to 20% more on environmentally sound products and services, sustainability and profitability are not mutually exclusive. This is a win for your brand, your customers, and you as a successful PR story.
How can you make your sustainability initiatives into a PR story?
Tie your PR into important news dates
With 100s of national and international awareness days, these are the perfect opportunity to highlight specific initiatives that relate to these causes, such as:
- 30 Days Wild - 1-30 June
- National Clean Air Day - 17 June
- Don’t Step on a Bee Day - 10 July
- National Allotments Week - 10 August
- Great British Beach Clean Day - 20 September
- Car Free Day - 22 September
- National Tree Week - 6 December
It is great to have sustainability and ESG practices within your business, however you’ll need to be creative on how you tell the media to make sure you stand out from the crowd. This could be:
- Encouraging employee involvement and their results
- A promotion for your customers that benefits the environment
- The statistics on how much of a difference your specific policies have made
- Position someone in the company to be the spokesperson and thought-leader on ESG activities
Telling a compelling story to the media will increase your chance of being picked up more than just factually stating your sustainability efforts.
Knowing your audience
Who are you writing this press release for? If you are focusing on ESG policies you should research eco and social journalists to understand the type of material they are looking for. You can find out more usually on publications’ websites or find them on social media.
We are doing it too
Here at JournoLink we have decided to increase our sustainability as well. We are proud to be involved with several projects, including EcoLogi, a tree planting initiative to help make our planet a greener and cleaner place to live.