FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Today WeAreTheCity released the names of its top 100 female Rising Stars as part of its annual awards programme.
The prestigious Rising Star awards aim to showcase the pipeline of female talent in the UK and to create role models across 20 different industries and professions.
The awards focus on celebrating the achievements of women under a management level regardless of age.
This year a new category was introduced to celebrate the efforts of senior individuals who champion gender equality, both within and outside of their organisations.
Over 850 entries were judged by a panel of 21 independent judges and over 28,000 public votes were received for the 200 shortlisted nominees from across 112 countries.
The top 5 winners for each category will be celebrated at a lavish awards ceremony on June 30 at Barclays.
Headline sponsored by Barclays, the awards are supported by AON, Bloomberg, Cancer Research UK, Women of Influence, Computer Weekly, EPAA (Executive and Personal Assistant Association), EY, The Guardian Women in Leadership, Inclusive Networks, ISS, JournoLink, Kier, Lloyd’s, Morgan Stanley, Newton Investment Management, Oliver Wyman, PA Consulting, Pedalsure, PwC, Reed Smith, Squaremile, Societe Generale, Socitm Advisory, Twenty Recruitment, The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, UN Women National Committee UK, Virgin Media Business, The Voice and Worldpay.
Vanessa Vallely, Managing Director of WeAreTheCity said: “It has been a total honour to run this year’s awards and highlight the achievements of so many amazing women. The calibre of entries was truly phenomenal.
“WeAreTheCity is very much about supporting the female pipeline and introducing these awards was a perfect opportunity to showcase the amazing talent of women across the UK.
“We are exceptionally proud of our winners and look forward to following their future success.
“We wouldn't have been able to launch these awards without the support of so many organisations, who took no convincing, to support these women and recognise their achievements.
“Both myself, my team, our sponsors, judges and supporters are very much looking forward to celebrating with all of our winners at the Barclays on 30 June”.
The winners of each category can be found in alphabetical order below. Full details of each winners can also be found by visiting risingstars.wearethecity.com
Rising Stars in Banking - Sponsored by Societe Generale:
Ebi Obode - RBS
Khalia D. Newell - Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Lauren Garey - JP Morgan
Luma Zitani - Barclays
Rachel Webster - Barclays
Rising Stars - Champions – Sponsored by Oliver Wyman:
Carolyn Pepper - Reed Smith
Funke Abimbola - Roche UK
Heather Melville - RBS
Robert Thesiger - The FISER Group
Tamara Box - Reed Smith
Rising Stars in Charity – Sponsored by Cancer Research UK, Women of Influence:
Frah Saeed - YMCA North London
Mary Dobson - LYCP
Michelle Thorpe - UK Homes 4 Heroes
Samantha Jones - Smart Works
Sophie Richardson - Free The Children UK
Rising Stars in Consulting - Sponsored by EY:
Amber Rosier - Accenture
Cynthia Yoon - KPMG
Hannah Selby - Mott MacDonald
Helen Campbell - PwC
Jennifer Curtis - ZS Associates
Rising Stars in Defence – Sponsored by PA Consulting:
Hayley Barnden - Ministry of Defence
Natalie Grainger - Naval Air Squadron
Sarah Cotman - RAF
Sarah Stevens - Royal Fleet Auxiliary
Sherry Conway - RAF
Rising Stars in Diversity – Sponsored by AON:
Elisha St Hilaire - Aon
Julie Thomas - Zurich Insurance
Lauren Peel - Aviva
Rupal Kantaria - Oliver Wyman
Stephanie Kouame – Bloomberg
Rising Stars - EA/PA’s – Sponsored by EPAA:
Amanda Hargreaves - PZ Cussons
Hannah Kate Smith - RSA
Jennifer Corcoran – Crédit Agricole CIB
Karen Glenn - Colt Technology Services
Simone White - BlackRock
Rising Stars in Education – Sponsored by The University of Chicago Booth School of Business:
Amy Farrelly - Rugby School
Brenda Neburagho - St Mathew Academy
Carrie Dunn - University of East London
Faye Kilgour - Graydin
Hasmita Chavda - Ignite!
Rising Star Entrepreneurs – Sponsored by Virgin Media Business:
Amma Mensah - Beyond The Classroom
Charlotte Pearce - Inkpact
Clare Anyiam-Osigwe (nee Eluka) | Premae
Georgina Bullen - Team Insight
Phoebe Gormley - Gormley & Gamble
Rising Stars in Facilities Management – Sponsored by ISS:
Cheryl-Anne Sanderson - G4S
Elaine Gibson - NSPCC
Lianne Lawson - Interserve Construction
Mary N O'Connor - CBRE
Sophie Kimber - ISS
Rising Stars in HR & Recruitment - Sponsored by Twenty Recruitment:
Ellen Hartley - Barclays
Julia Vanoli - House of Commons
Kayleigh Bottomley - Progressive Recruitment (SThree)
Tarryn Severn - Barclays
Winnie Oudemans – Barclays
Rising Stars in Insurance - Sponsored by Lloyd’s:
Adobea Atsrefi - AIG
Amy Sinnott - AIG
Charlotte Lach - AIG
Christy Mitchell - Zurich
Sarah Millman - LV=
Rising Stars in Investment Management - Sponsored by Newton Investment Management:
Alison Ure - Hermes Investment Managers
Emma Bullock - Saunderson House
Jamie Tolentino-Deludet - Investec Asset Management
Katie Trowsdale - Standard Life
Sarah Hudson - BlackRock
Rising Stars in Law, The Lynne Freeman award – Sponsored by Reed Smith:
Claudine Adeyemi - Mishcon de Reya
Danielle Ayres - Gorvins Solicitors
Kim Opszala - Dentons
Leah Glover - DWF
Rhiannon Paine - Clifford Chance
Rising Stars in Media & Journalism – Sponsored by Bloomberg:
Jenna Jones - Maggie Semple Ltd
Nejra Cehic – Bloomberg
Roz Sanderson - UBM
Ruth David - Bloomberg
Samantha Brooker - Secret Escapes
Rising Stars in Oil & Gas – Sponsored by PwC:
Anne Bailey - Baringa Partners
Anne Claudel - BP
Eleanor Collins - BP
Kerrine Bryan - CB&I
Nicola Hartshorn - British Gas
Rising Stars in Property Services – Sponsored by Kier:
Alex Chitty - Land Securities
Alice Boswell - The British Land
Jessica Neale - CBRE
Najwa Jawahar - WSP | Parsons Brinkerhoff
Rebecca Fieldhouse - Iceni Projects
Rising Stars in Public Sector – Sponsored by Socitm Advisory:
Emma Redman - Southend Council
Hannah Cotton - Transport for London
Lorraine Eyers – Greater London Authorit
Susan Russell - Festivals Edinburgh
Temitope Roberta Lawal - Ministry of Justice
Rising Stars in Sales – Sponsored by Worldpay:
Elizabeth Drummond - Bloomberg
Emma Gillies - Sedgefield Racecourse
Mary Kay - Real Staffing (SThree)
Shauna Bull - Pure Storage
Valentine Rabin - MasterCard
Rising Stars in Sport - Sponsored by PedalSure:
Alexandra Merisoiu - The Merisoiu Technique
Francesca Brown - Goals4Girls
Hayley Bennett - Kick it Out
Manisha Tailor - Swaggarlicious
Sophie Radcliffe - Challenge Sophie
Rising Stars in Technology - Sponsored by Morgan Stanley:
Babs Ofori-Acquah - MVF
Ellie Ulrich - Cisco
Lucie Svandelikova - BT
Sarah Chapman - 3M
Sarah Khan - SARA K Digital
Notes to Editor:
• To interview Vanessa Vallely, please contact email@example.com
• For other media enquiries contact Chantelle Akerman on 01702 201695 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• For more information about WeAreTheCity please visit risingstars.wearethecity.com
The aim of WeAreTheCity is to provide an information careers and lifestyle portal for women working in London and across the UK. It was founded in 2008 by husband and wife team, Stewart & Vanessa Vallely with the intention of providing career orientated content to working women and entrepreneurs across London.
Other key facts
• It has been funded by both founders and was run as a not for profit from 2008 to 2013.
• WeAreTheCity has a database of over 30,000 professional and entrepreneurial women.
• The company has a projected reach (via network relationships) of approx. 400,000 women across the UK.
• WeAreTheCity experiences over 4million hits per month, 210,000 unique visitors
• WeAreTheCity.com is the top 1% of visited websites in the UK (as per Alexa.com), ranking at 7,275 out of 10 million websites
registered in the UK, 181,977 out of 1 billion websites worldwide.
• WeAreTheCity has a job board offering specifically aimed at our female members, www.careerscity.co.uk which was
launched in October 2012.
• WeAreTheCity.com has a sister site based in India which was just launched in March 2013, www.WeAreTheCity.in. This is
currently sponsored by Ernst & Young LLP
• We have a combined social media reach of 9,000 via Twitter, 1,500 on Facebook and 5,000 members on LinkedIN.
• WeAreTheCity has over 25 resident bloggers and over 250 volunteer writers.
• We generate around 25-30 unique pieces of content per week.
• We supports over 25 charities with free advertising through our Giving Back section.
WeAreTheCity provides the following services.
• Provides career and lifestyle orientated information to professional and entrepreneurial women working in London and
across the UK.
• Provides corporates with a platform (through Careerscity.co.uk) to advertise their open vacancies directly to a female
• Project manages events for corporates who wish to engage with particular demographic of women (eg Technology).
• Provides a platform for corporate companies to enhance their brand within the female community by publishing gender
• Provides a platform for female entrepreneurs to advertise and promote their quality products or services to a large female
• Offers training opportunities to our members via free webinars.
• Profiles inspirational women across the UK in order to raise their profile and inspire our members.
• Promotes restaurants, bars, business schools, wellness activities in London plus other female centric services.
• Provides competitions and unique discounts for our members.
• Provides our own events, eg networking drinks 4 times per year.
• Engages with our members via a bi-weekly newsletter and various social media feeds.
• Promotes female leadership programmes and opportunities for women to up-skill outside their corporate environments.
• Provides a calendar of events from female networks and other learning providers.
• Provides a directory of recommended coaches.
• Promotes giving back activities (Charities and social enterprises) to our membership to encourage them to give back to their
• Provides a platform for female writers to share their stories and experiences with other women.
01 Feb 2016 10:30
07 Jan 2016 10:15
Copyright © 2018 JournoLink Ltd. All Rights Reserved