UNDER EMBARGO UNTIL 28 May 2015 08:00
Shining a spotlight on the female talent pipeline
WeAreTheCity, the leading website for professional women in the UK, is delighted to announce the launch of its new awards programme - the WATC Top 50 Rising Stars Awards for 2015.
These awards are the first to focus on the UK's female talent pipeline below management level and will celebrate 50 women across multiple industries who represent the leaders of tomorrow.
- Investment Management
- Media & Journalism
- Personal & Exec Assistants
Vanessa Vallely, founder and CEO of WeAreTheCity, said:
‘The focus on increasing the number of women on boards in the UK over the past few years has been incredibly successful. We now need to focus on helping to highlight women who will be future managers and directors within our organisations.’
Uniquely, instead of focusing on entrants’ ages, the awards will concentrate on the achievements of the business stars of the future.
‘We have a responsibility to ensure that our female talent gets the necessary support and encouragement to transition into key decision-making roles within top level organisations at whatever point in their lives they are ready. The Top 50 Rising Star awards will recognise and provide visibility for the high-potential women we want not only retain, but grow within our organisations in the UK.’
WeAreTheCity defines a rising star as:
• Someone who is making a difference in their industry
• Someone who demonstrates passion and drive
• Someone who gives back or inspires others
• Someone who is recognised by others as having the potential to become a future leader in their industry
Nominations for the WATC open on 01 June 2015 at www.wearethecity.com.
The WATC awards are supported by leading organisations including Morgan Stanley, Barclays, Lloyds, Societe Generale, Reed Smith, Twenty Recruitment, Ladbrokes, Guardian Women in Leadership, BNY Mellon and Newton Investment Management.
A shortlist of 10 women from each industry category chosen by the WeAreTheCity team will be published in early July and voting opens to the public on 20 July.
Final judging will take place over the summer, with each category sponsor plus 2 independent judges choosing the final five winners from each of the 10 categories. The top five rising stars will be announced in September and will then be invited to a champagne reception at a prestigious venue to celebrate and collect their awards.
The aim of WeAreTheCity is to provide an information careers and lifestyle portal for women working in London and across the UK. It was founded in 2008 by husband and wife team, Stewart & Vanessa Vallely with the intention of providing career orientated content to working women and entrepreneurs across London.
Other key facts
• It has been funded by both founders and was run as a not for profit from 2008 to 2013.
• WeAreTheCity has a database of over 30,000 professional and entrepreneurial women.
• The company has a projected reach (via network relationships) of approx. 400,000 women across the UK.
• WeAreTheCity experiences over 4million hits per month, 210,000 unique visitors
• WeAreTheCity.com is the top 1% of visited websites in the UK (as per Alexa.com), ranking at 7,275 out of 10 million websites
registered in the UK, 181,977 out of 1 billion websites worldwide.
• WeAreTheCity has a job board offering specifically aimed at our female members, www.careerscity.co.uk which was
launched in October 2012.
• WeAreTheCity.com has a sister site based in India which was just launched in March 2013, www.WeAreTheCity.in. This is
currently sponsored by Ernst & Young LLP
• We have a combined social media reach of 9,000 via Twitter, 1,500 on Facebook and 5,000 members on LinkedIN.
• WeAreTheCity has over 25 resident bloggers and over 250 volunteer writers.
• We generate around 25-30 unique pieces of content per week.
• We supports over 25 charities with free advertising through our Giving Back section.
WeAreTheCity provides the following services.
• Provides career and lifestyle orientated information to professional and entrepreneurial women working in London and
across the UK.
• Provides corporates with a platform (through Careerscity.co.uk) to advertise their open vacancies directly to a female
• Project manages events for corporates who wish to engage with particular demographic of women (eg Technology).
• Provides a platform for corporate companies to enhance their brand within the female community by publishing gender
• Provides a platform for female entrepreneurs to advertise and promote their quality products or services to a large female
• Offers training opportunities to our members via free webinars.
• Profiles inspirational women across the UK in order to raise their profile and inspire our members.
• Promotes restaurants, bars, business schools, wellness activities in London plus other female centric services.
• Provides competitions and unique discounts for our members.
• Provides our own events, eg networking drinks 4 times per year.
• Engages with our members via a bi-weekly newsletter and various social media feeds.
• Promotes female leadership programmes and opportunities for women to up-skill outside their corporate environments.
• Provides a calendar of events from female networks and other learning providers.
• Provides a directory of recommended coaches.
• Promotes giving back activities (Charities and social enterprises) to our membership to encourage them to give back to their
• Provides a platform for female writers to share their stories and experiences with other women.
06 Jun 2016 11:00
01 Feb 2016 10:30
07 Jan 2016 10:15
Copyright © 2018 JournoLink Ltd. All Rights Reserved