FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The masterminds of Small Business Saturday UK (SBS), a grassroots and non-commercial campaign that is focused on highlighting small business success and promoting local, independent businesses, has announced that Stevenage will be one of their 25 stops on a nationwide bus tour this autumn. Celebrating their 5th anniversary this year, this campaign is set to be its biggest yet.
In the run up to Small Business Saturday itself on the 2nd December, the bus will be touring 25 selected towns and cities across the country. On Tuesday 14th November, the bus will be stopping in Stevenage Town Centre, from 10am until 2pm, and the SBS team will be collaborating with key regional organisations such as Stevenage Borough Council, The Business & Technology Centre (btc), Wenta, FSB, Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce, Herts Growth Hub, Herts LEP and many more.
Available on the day will be free business advice and mentoring, an exhibition of local small businesses from Stevenage, inspiring workshops on subjects such as accounting and social media plus plenty of free giveaways and information on the local business support.
Commenting on the bus tour, Leader of Stevenage Borough Council, Cllr Sharon Taylor, said: “This is a wonderful chance to celebrate the small businesses in our town, encourage people to shop locally and use them, and to highlight the help and support on offer for new ones. From incubating new retailers at the Indoor Market to offering office space, training and support at the btc, Stevenage is a town which really gets behind our entrepreneurs. We’ll be offering help and advice on the day and are pleased to have the bus stopping off here.”
Jennifer Condon, Marketing Manager of The Business & Technology Centre (btc) said: “We are delighted that Stevenage has been recognised as a town that is dedicated to supporting local small businesses. Small Business Saturday is a fantastic campaign that encourages residents to shop local and use local businesses, of which we have many here in Stevenage. A number of our clients, local small businesses, will be showcasing their products and services too, bringing the btc to the heart of Stevenage Town Centre!”
Pam Charman, Chairman of the Hertfordshire branch of The Federation of Small Businesses said: “It’s great the Small Business Saturday Bus is coming to Stevenage. Small firms make a big difference to their community and the life of the nation, with many going above and beyond to help their small business neighbours and local start-ups. FSB backs the campaign at branch, region, nation and UK level as a way to say a simple 'thank you' to small business owners in every corner of the country.”
In 2016, customers across the UK spent £717m with small businesses on Small Business Saturday, an increase of 15% on 2015. Over 140,000 tweets were sent on the day reaching 130 million people, trending on Twitter in the UK and globally. Over 80% of local authorities across the UK actively supported the campaign, including Stevenage Borough Council through a variety of initiatives such as the Speed Mentoring event that took place at The Business & Technology Centre.
Also supporting the event will be Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce. Yolanda Rugg, CEO of Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce, advised: "We strongly encourage local residents to put the date in their diary now, to come out and support Small Business Saturday in Stevenage and sustain an important local community initiative at the very heart of Stevenage. We are proud to support this campaign."
Further details of the planned activities for the 14th November are to be confirmed, watch this space for further updates! To find out more about how you and your business can get involved in Small Business Saturday, Stevenage contact Mena Caldbeck at Stevenage Borough Council on firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out about other Small Business Saturday events happening in and around Stevenage, visit the ‘My Small Business Finder’ on the website (www.smallbusinesssaturdayuk.com).
Notes for Editor
For more information contact:
Jennifer Condon - Marketing Manager
The Business & Technology Centre
Bessemer Drive, Stevenage
Hertfordshire SG1 2DX
Tel: 01923 691370
Web: www.btcstevenage.co.uk / www.wenta.co.uk
Stevenage Borough Council
Tel: 01438 242520
• For more information on Small Business Saturday visit their website at: https://smallbusinesssaturdayuk.com/
• The Business & Technology Centre (btc) is owned by Stevenage Borough Council and managed by Wenta, one of the leading Enterprise Agencies in the East of England and a social enterprise.
• The btc was re-launched in 2009 following a multi million pound development to transform the centre into the primary Innovation and Technology Centre in Hertfordshire, aimed at supporting knowledge based businesses and promoting innovation within the local community. This development is part of the Council’s vision to create quality business space and support in the heart of the town’s business community and it is part of a £7M investment funded jointly by the Council and EEDA, the Regional Development Agency and the Government Growth Area Fund.
• The btc is the longest serving Enterprise Hub within the region promoting networking, the sharing of knowledge and cross trading. Working to develop innovation and inspire enterprise, the btc also works with local schools, colleges, other enterprise hubs and universities to offer educational visits, work experience, business advice and training.
• Wenta is a not for profit organisation independently funded through the ownership and management of its three business centres in Enfield, Potters Bar and Watford and the management of the btc in Stevenage. These business centres comprise workshops and offices with a combined space of over 100,000 square feet, let on monthly licence terms to small businesses.
• In 2016, the btc was awarded the ‘Enterprise Award’ for making a real difference to the local community at The Pride of Stevenage Awards.
Wenta are the leading Enterprise Agency in Herts and Beds offering Business Advice, Office/Workshop space and Education & Training programmes.
T: 0845 371 0891
More from Wenta
03 Jan 2018 16:00
22 Nov 2017 13:30
Copyright © 2019 JournoLink Ltd. All Rights Reserved
JournoLink Ltd is registered in England and Wales, No. 08783164. Registered Office: 9-11 Castle St, Cardiff CF10 1BS