UNDER EMBARGO UNTIL 27 September 2015 08:00
OFC 395, an AEC regent double decker bus, was acquired new in 1949 by City of Oxford Motor Services is being bought by the Oxford Bus Museum, a registered Charity, for restoration from its current owner in Maryville, New York State. OFC 395 was one of a fleet of 53 highbridge buses acquired between 1948 and 1951 of standard height. They were widely used on city and country routes. A further 10 low height buses were bought at the same time which ran on routes going under the low Railway Bridge in Oxford.
This bus operated in Oxford for 12 years before being acquired via a dealer by The Atomic weapons Research Establishment in Aldermaston where it was used for site staff transport.
In summer 1974 OFC395 was exported to Long Beach, California where it was used as a tourist attraction at the Queen Mary site. Even though it had never been owned by London Transport, the bus was repainted red and passed off as an ex London bus. The nonsensical destination board was also painted on it. A few years ago it was acquired by its present owner who drove it across America to its present location in Mayville, New York close to Lake Erie and the USA / Canadian border.
The bus has a Weymann body on its original AEC Regent III engine with the original seats but, having been left in the open for a number of years, the paintwork is need of substantial renovation. It will be brought back to England on low loaders and by sea. Although the bus is a runner, in its present state it is unlikely to pass a MOT test.
Nevertheless once restoration is complete and the bus has been repainted in its original Oxford colours, the museum plans to add OFC 395 to its fleet providing free vintage bus trips for the public.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
The museum is located at the Rail Station Long Hanborough, Oxfordshire OX29 8LA and contains 30 vintages buses and coaches, the earliest dating from 1913, a collection of Morris cars dating from 1925 to 1977 and a collection of bicycles.
FREE vintage bus rides leave the museum at 12.15 and 2.45pm on the FIRST and THIRD Sunday each month from 5 April to 18 October 2015
The museum is open between 10.30am and 4.30pm on Wednesdays and Sundays throughout the year, on Saturdays from 2 May to 26 September and on all Bank Holidays, including New Year's Day.
The Museum is a charity and run entirely by volunteers.
PRESS CONTACTS: Christopher Butterfield 01296 337622 & Frank Collingwood 01993 811003
Old Station Yard, Main Road, Long Hanborough, Near Witney, Oxon OX29 8LA
(Museum site and registered office)
Company No. 4228899 Charity No. 1088389 Museum Registration No. 1667 VAT No. 596 1118 27
Web site: http:/www.oxfordbusmuseum.org.uk
Tel: 01296 337622
The museum is located at the Rail Station Long Hanborough, Oxfordshire OX29 8LA and contains 35 vintages buses and coaches, the earliest dating from 1913, a collection of Morris cars dating from 1925 to 1977, a horse drawn tram and a collection of 40bicycles.
FREE vintage bus rides leave the museum at 12.15 and 2.45pm on the FIRST and THIRD Sunday each month from 2 July until 20 August 2017 and there are regular free services on bank holidays 1 & 29 May and 28 August.
The 2017 Vintage Transport Festival celebrating 50 years is on Sunday 30 July.
The museum is open between 10.30am and 4.30pm on Wednesdays and Sundays throughout the year, on Saturdays from 3 June to 26 August and on Summer Bank Holidays and New Year's Day. but neither Christmas Day nor Boxing Day.
02 Jan 2017 20:00
01 Dec 2016 00:00
20 Sep 2016 15:30
14 Jul 2016 10:15
For more information on JournoLink and how to receive more content like this, please visit https://journolink.com/journalists.