UNDER EMBARGO UNTIL 17 August 2017 06:00
Today’s the day when images of teenagers clutching their A level results fill news feeds throughout England and Wales. For many, the culmination of months and years of study, it’s however just the first day on a journey that will see nearly 650,000 undergraduates embark on University courses this Autumn.
Successful school and college leavers, faced with annual fees of £9,250 and an interest rate of 6.1% are however increasingly rejecting this traditional route. They’re looking instead at the opportunities afforded by Apprenticeships and have been quick to grasp the benefits and possibilities on offer.
Joy Stewart, Head of Skills and Development at GM Chamber comments:
“Apprenticeships are a great way for businesses to recruit talented individuals with a real drive to excel in the workplace, and to develop in them specific skills needed by the company.”
Government figures back up the experience of businesses and apprentices alike, outlining:
Benefits to employers:
• Apprenticeships enable businesses to grow their skills base resulting in increased profits, lower prices and better products;
• 87% of employers said they were satisfied with their apprenticeship programme;
• 76% of employers say that productivity has improved; -
• 75% of employers reported that apprenticeships improved the quality of their product or service;
• Traineeships offer small businesses an opportunity to help build a pool of high quality future recruits for their sector standards in development.
Benefits to the Apprentice
• After finishing, the majority of apprentices (90%) stay in employment (including 2% self-employed), with seven in ten (71%) staying with the same employer;
• A quarter of former apprentices had been promoted (23%) within 12 months of finishing;
• 89% of apprentices are satisfied with their apprenticeship; 85% of apprentices said their ability to do the job had improved, and 83% of apprentices said their career prospects had improved;
• Those completing a higher apprenticeship could see increased earnings of an estimated £150,000 over their lifetime
Non Levy paying companies with an apprenticeship vacancy or potential vacancy are eligible for a fully funded workforce development plan. Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce's Skills Team are on hand to discuss and advise you if having an apprentice would be a viable option to help fill any skills gaps and also to make the process as simple as possible for your business.
Please contact one of the team: email@example.com 0161 393 4349 for more information and to check eligibility.
Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce is the largest Chamber of Commerce in the UK, providing business support to approximately 4,500 members who collectively employ 446,000 people, around one-third of Greater Manchester’s workforce.
Recognised as a leader in its field, Greater Manchester Chamber’s reputation in government circles has grown locally and nationally. At the heart of the area of greatest economic intensity outside London and the South East, the Chamber is the primary body for business support, policy, representation and networking.
The Chamber is an independent, not-for-profit private company and its aim is to support businesses and help create the best climate for the region to prosper. This is achieved by ensuring that those taking decisions on key issues such as transport, taxation and business regulation hear the voice of our members. The representation of our members’ views is central to the work of the policy team at the Chamber; these views are gathered in a range of ways including our local councils, policy committees, sector councils, the main Chamber council, focus groups, meetings with politicians and consultations.
The Chamber also offers a range of networking forums across Greater Manchester, free as part of membership, plus a variety of other events and services designed to benefit specific sectors or individuals and help businesses to grow.
09 Jul 2018 13:00
28 Jun 2018 17:15
06 Apr 2018 10:00
22 Feb 2018 12:30
Copyright © 2018 JournoLink Ltd. All Rights Reserved